Change.org: The Most Powerful Petition Tool on the Web
- Free and easy to create in 3 steps.
- Directly target elected officials, business leaders, or other decision-makers.
- Real-time delivery of signed letters to targets.
- Ability to send follow-up messages to everyone who has signed your petition.
- Nonprofits can build their email list by allowing participants to subscribe when signing.
- Integrated social networking and sharing tools with Twitter and Facebook.
- Embeddable widgets available to promote your petition on blogs and other sites.
- Leaderboard shows how many people each supporter has recruited to sign the petition.
- Petitions appear in each relevant cause community on Change.org. Top petitions each week are sent to more than 500,000 activists.
- Petitions on Change.org have won dozens of campaigns:
- Convinced the Dept. of Labor to release a confidential report on slave labor
- Helped end the food industry’s deceptive nutrition labeling program
- Compelled Scholastic to stop censoring gay friendly books
- See more
Want more training and advice? Sign up for our weekly webinar about effective online organizing!
- Keep it short and simple!
- A short, catchy, headline is the single most important part of your petition.
- Tell people why your target is the best person to petition on this issue (e.g. “Send a letter to the Governor because she is the only person who can sign the bill into law”).
- Ask the target of your petition to do something specific (e.g. “please vote yes on this bill” or “stop testing your lipstick on animals”).
- Always attach a photo or video to your petition.
- Use social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter to help recruit people to sign your petition.
- Send a follow-up message to everyone who has signed your petition. Tell them what happened or give some additional information about the issue.
CITIZEN ACTIVISTS!!! Change.org is providing a brand-new petition tool for free!